I’m currently a post-doc researcher with the Institute for Systems and Robotics and an invited assistant professor at Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon, Portugal.
My research interests include sensor-based SLAM, sensor-based control of helicopters relative to infrastructures, nonlinear MPC for helicopters, laser automatic calibration, and helicopter dynamic models and simulation.
awards and honors
- Excellence in Teaching Distinction, year 2016/2017, Instituto Superior Técnico.
- Excellence in Teaching Distinction, year 2015/2016, Instituto Superior Técnico.
- Post-Doc fellowship from the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia.
- Youth Award 2014, Science and Research, in S. Brás de Alportel, my hometown.
- Best 2013 PhD Thesis Award from the Portuguese Robotics Society.
- Doctoral scholarship from the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia.
- Best student paper award of the 17th IFAC Symposium in Automatic Control in Aerospace (June 2007, Toulouse, France).
- Doctoral degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, at Instituto Superior Técnico, at the University of Lisbon (2013).
- Licenciatura (5-year degree) in Electrical and Computer Engineering (2004), from Instituto Superior Técnico.
- Invited Assistant Professor (2015-present), IST, Universidade de Lisboa: assisted in teaching Digital Signal Processing, Control, and Modeling and Simulation courses; co-adviser of several MSc Students.
- Post-doc FCT Fellow (2016-presente), Instituto de Sistemas e Robótica, IST, Universidade de Lisboa: sensor-based control, navigation, and guidance of autonomous rotorcraft in unknown environments.
- Post-doc Fellow (2015-2016), SCORE Lab, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Macau: design and experimental validation of sensor-based trajectory tracking control strategies for autonomous vehicles.
- Post-doc/Research engineer (2008-2015), AIRTICI project: developing advanced control and navigation techniques, as well as prototypes for automatic aerial inspection of large infrastructures, particularly when GPS signal is not available.
- Post-doc Visiting Scholar (Spring 2014), SCORE Lab, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Macau: experimental validation a sensor-based trajectory tracking control strategy for autonomous helicopters, based on 2-D LiDAR measurements.
- Visiting Scholar (Spring 2007 and 2008), Virginia Tech: application to helicopters of the L1 adaptive control theory, developed by Dr. Naira Hovakimyan and Dr. Chengyu Cao group, at the Nonlinear Systems Laboratory, Aerospace and Ocean Engineering Department.
- Research engineer, Medires project (2004-2007): laser calibration and 3-D terrain reconstruction.
- Volunteer (August 2001), for a Development NGO in S. Tomé and Príncipe: teaching and working with local communities towards better education and health care.
- Member of Scientific Committee: Second Iberian Robotics Conference (ROBOT’2015); Workshop on ICT solutions with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (ICTwithUAV), in WorldCIST 2017.
- Session Chair/Co-chair: 2013 European Control Conference (“Maritime Systems” and “Quadrotor Control”), 2012 American Control Conference (“Filtering III”).
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control; IEEE Transactions on Robotics; IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems; Journal of Aerospace Engineering; International Journal of Robotics Research; Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems; Asian Journal of Control; IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Member of Professional Associations: IEEE (also RAS and CSS), Ordem dos Engenheiros, Portuguese Robotics Society, Portuguese Automatic Control Assciation (APCA).
- Portuguese: native language.
- English: proficiency (IELTS Band 8).
- French and Spanish: basic/independent conversation and writing, independent reading.
- Basic knowledge of Japanese and German.
- Reading, learning to play musical instruments
- Building, hacking, and flying drones, specially for autonomous flights
- Trekking, snorkeling, squash, martial arts, geocaching